I’ve always been a story teller and love embarking on adventures from travelling around the world to living in many different cities and towns across Australia. It’s this curiosity and passion for something different that led me to freelance writing — I love working with a variety of clients (from food brands to wedding magazines) and taking on their challenge of reaching a particular audience.
Like all good journalists I first cut my teeth in a regional newsroom in Townsville. The allure of big city lights, however, was too strong and I began shaping my professional career in the busy landscape of Sydney. Here’s a little run down of my past professional roles:
- Manager of Media and Marketing for Feros Care, a not for profit aged care organisation
- Media Officer for The Genetics Education Centre, NSW Health
- Senior Consultant for boutique healthcare PR agency, VIVA! Communications
- Media Manager and Acting Editor with the Australian Medical Association (NSW)
- Journalist and Newsreader for Sea FM and Mix FM, Townsville.
My freelancing business
Now, I run my own solo business as a freelance writer from my base on the Gold Coast (though I have clients that are all across Australia and international).
The thing about the “freelance writer” title is that it is often associated with just articles – these days, however, it has given me the opportunity to work with lots of clients including corporate organisations who have needed their own magazine, to popular websites needing pieces on parenting, and major brands looking for content marketing through their business blog.
By mixing my writing and PR skills I can offer my clients assistance with their online promotion, social media content, brand building and, of course, traditional media.
There are several topics that I’ve worked on and know well:
- Women’s health
- Pregnancy & parenting
- Lifestyle and entertainment
- Food (including branded content for clients like CSR Sugar)
- Finance (particularly family finances and budgeting)
I always endeavour to work closely with my clients to ensure they’re going to get the content that’s just right for their publication, website or blog.